Prince Williams Parish Church (Sheldon) was built between 1745 and 1755 on land donated by Edmund Bellinger. The name Sheldon was used to honor the Bull Family who had a plantation nearby and thier ancestral home in Warwickshire, England were called Sheldon Hall
Arms and ammunition were hidden in the Bull family vault during the American Revolution, and Continental troops drilled on the church grounds. Sheldon Church was burned by General Augustine Prevost's British troops in May 1779
The church was rebuilt in 1826 and was given the name of Sheldon Church of Prince William's Parish. Sherman's 15th corps under General John Logan burned Sheldon Church on Jan. 14, 1865.